Multivitamin Research: Should You Be Taking Them? – Thomas DeLauer
Click Here to Subscribe: http://Bit.ly/ThomasVid
Get the Clothes I Wear at 25% Off – Use Code: TDSUMMER25 at http://www.Hylete.com
Multivitamin Research: Should You Be Taking Them?- Thomas DeLauer… I’m hoping that with this video I can save you some serious money and I know that sounds funny, but I’m talking about your multivitamins. I’m talking about potentially ditching your multivitamins, if you’re not someone that actually needs it. This video came to light simply because a lot of people that have talked to and a lot of people that I’ve worked with, have had a very, very hard time letting go of their multivitamins.
They take these multivitamins and they see them as their crutch. They see them as the end all be all and their link to healthy eating or the void fill from the nutrients that they’re missing from their food. But the reality is there’s a lot more to just popping a multivitamin and getting your vitamins and minerals in. So first off what I want to look at is the fact that 50% of Americans take a multivitamin.
That is a lot, a lot of people that are misled. A lot of people are leading themselves to believe that they’re getting all their vitamins and minerals and getting what they need from a simple pill. Also in reality, we have to look at how much money is being spent. We’re talking like $11 billion dollars that people are spending on multivitamins. That’s a lot of money.
Okay, so let’s talk about what is happening with a multivitamin and why it may not be the best thing for you. I’m not discounting it. I’m not saying that everyone should avoid taking a multivitamin. There are some subcategories of people that might want to take them, but I want to talk about some reality when it comes down to just popping that pill.
First thing I want to look at is too many nutrients, okay? The simple thing is we have to look at this. If our bodies have the ability to take in all these minerals and all of these vitamins at once, don’t you think there would be a food out there that truly encompasses all of them?
You see, normally we have to eat different subcategories of foods to ultimately make up our nutrients. Now, if it was so easy as just popping a pill, I think that a lot more people would be really, truly healthy and if it was really possible to absorb all those vitamins and minerals at once, I think we’d have some foods that contain all those vitamins and minerals. We have to remember that we require specific enzymatic functions to truly synthesize and utilize different vitamins, minerals, and metals within the body. Each vitamin that we take in each mineral that we take in has a different process to actually being utilized and if we take them all in at once, we’re not really allowing the body to do that efficiently.
You’re much better off knowing what is going to work for you and isolating specific vitamins and specific minerals for your type, for your bio individuality. So the thing we have to look at with multivitamins and we have this constant competition going on. Okay? We have constant competition of different minerals that sometimes need to be elevated and sometimes need to be lower, but we also have way too much of specific minerals.
1) Inc., G. (2013, December 19). Half of Americans Take Vitamins Regularly. Retrieved from http://news.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx
2) Vitamin and Mineral Supplements: Do We Really Need Them? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3309636/
3) Office of Dietary Supplements – Multivitamin/mineral Supplements. (2016, February 17). Retrieved from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MVMS-Consumer/
4) Vitamin Overdose: Taking Too Many Vitamins Can Be Bad For Your Health, But How Many Would It Take To Kill You? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.medicaldaily.com/vitamin-overdose-taking-too-many-vitamins-can-be-bad-your-health-how-many-would-it-315426
5) Why Multivitamins Might Do More Harm Than Good. (16, September). Retrieved from https://greatist.com/grow/why-you-dont-need-a-multivitamin
6) Do Multivitamins Actually Work? The Surprising Truth. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/do-multivitamins-work#section7
7) Bjelakovic G , et al. (n.d.). Antioxidant supplements for prevention of gastrointestinal cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. – PubMed – NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15464182
8) Bjelakovic G , et al. (n.d.). Mortality in randomized trials of antioxidant supplements for primary and secondary prevention: systematic review and meta-analysis. – PubMed – NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17327526