Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter that is produced from an amino acid called tryptophan that is stored within the gastrointestinal track, platelets, and the central nervous system. Ninety percent of it is found in the gut regulating intestinal movements. It is associated with your moods, how well you sleep, depression, anxiety, how you view things, body temperature, energy, muscle contraction, whether your platelets clot or not, and your ability to make decisions.
Serotonin is the “happiness hormone.”
That makes it kind of important to your sense of well-being, don’t you think?
Brainwave entrainment stimulates the brain using the alpha wave frequency (10 Hz) which allows for an increased release of serotonin. Alpha brainwaves ward off sad and depressed feelings. This powerful technology introduces a repeated, rhythmic frequency pattern to the brain with the intention of changing its dominant brainwave pattern to match it. The brain naturally follows and mimics this induced pattern and changes its state of consciousness. Different entrainment sessions do different things. Recordings that put the brain into alpha state help the brain release serotonin and maintain well-being.
What Lowers Your Serotonin Levels
- Low exposure to sunlight.
- Chronic stress and the overproduction of stress hormones like cortisol.
- Genetics-some people have genetically lower levels of serotonin.
- Lack of exercise.
- An unbalanced diet and too much caffeine, soda, coffee, fake sugars, and processed foods.
- Ecstacy – just thought I’d throw that in even though it’s probably not the most common reason.
- Drugs, alcohol, carbs and sugar can temporarily increase serotonin but will eventually deplete serotonin levels over time. Crash and burn.
What Happens When Serotonin Is Low
- Mood swings
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Food cravings-sugar, alcohol
- Obsessive-compulsive behaviour-like being a hoarder
- Eating disorders-like anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating
- Fat tummy
How To Release Serotonin
- Vigorous exercise. Exercise has long been used as a good treatment for cases of mild depression when medication may not be needed. Regular exercise has a calming effect on the mind and ensures the release of serotonin for a few days after.
- Eat protein.
- Eat essential fats that are found in foods like salmon, flaxseed, walnuts, and avocados.
- Sleep well. Make sure you have REM and deep, dreamless sleep.
- Release oxytocin, the love hormone by engaging the feelings of trust, love and comfort, so that serotonin is naturally activated.
- Sit in bright light.
- Listen to a brainwave entrainment recording that stimulates your brain to produce alpha brainwaves that release serotonin in great amounts.
Brainwave entrainment is a fast, efficient way to reduce stress hormones and release large quantities of serotonin. It’s amazing how much the “happiness hormone” can make a difference in your stressed out life.
There is relief.
Release Serotonin, The Happiness Hormone, With Brainwave Entrainment by Wanina Petlock