Penile rash symptoms are understandably a cause for concern for most men. Even men who are not sexually active may develop spots, bumps and penis rash that may itch, flake, and spread to other parts of the genital area. Daily penis care with gentle cleansers and penis-specific vitamins and minerals may help to prevent minor skin rashes on the penis and soothe irritated skin. In addition, men should be aware of penis symptoms that may require medical attention.
Penis rash symptoms that all men should watch for
The following symptoms can be caused by a variety of different types of penile skin conditions. In most cases, these are minor, and the redness, swelling and rash can be resolved through good hygiene and nutrient support for the skin.
Symptom: Small bumps around the crown of the penis
· Penile Papules – This condition, which mainly affects uncircumcised men, presents as a series of small, dome-like bumps that may be flesh-colored or red. They are generally not painful and do not require any treatment beyond normal personal hygiene. Keeping the skin well-moisturized and supplying the area with antioxidants and skin care nutrients such as vitamin A can help to keep away bacteria and other microorganisms that may cause penis rash under the foreskin.
Symptom: Itchy, red penis rash that spreads and/or flakes
· Psoriasis- This skin reaction occurs on other parts of the body and may affect the penis skin, as well. Symptoms include red patches of skin and may be accompanied by inflammation. Flaking and itching may also occur, and peeling the skin that flakes away may cause slight bleeding. Vitamin A treatments are often recommended by dermatologists for treating all types of psoriasis.
· Contact dermatitis- Skin allergies and sensitivities to substances ranging from latex (found in condoms), detergents and deodorants, and poison ivy or poison oak can cause a rash on the penis. Avoiding materials known to cause skin reactions is the number one solution for avoiding contact dermatitis. To soothe itchy, reddened and inflamed skin, penis crèmes containing vitamins such as A, C, D and E are generally effective.
· Fungal infections – Fungal infections, including Candida yeast and the condition commonly known as “jock itch” are found nearly everywhere, especially in gym locker rooms and other areas that are warm, moist, and frequented by large numbers of people. These can cause redness, a spreading rash, and severe itching. Keeping the groin area clean and dry and treating the skin with healing vitamins C and D may help to prevent the development of fungal infections.
Symptom: Small, red bumps at the base of the penis
· Bacterial infections- As with fungal infections, the genital area is a prime breeding ground for bacteria that can cause skin infections that may be accompanied by rash and swelling. Vitamin A, which works as a natural antibacterial, can help to eliminate harmful bacteria that can cause penis rash and foul odors.
· Shaving- Men who shave the hair around the penis may develop reddened bumps. These are actually caused by bacteria that invade the follicles following shaving. Treating the skin with a nutrient formula containing vitamin A can help to eliminate bacteria, while vitamins C, B5 and D can speed healing.
Symptom: Red, itchy rash and swelling on the head of the penis
· Balanitis- This common penis rash condition is generally caused by poor hygiene and is more common in uncircumcised men. Cleaning the area thoroughly and keeping the skin well-oxygenated through the use of vitamin C may be effective in preventing the swelling and itching that accompany balanitis, while natural moisturizers such as shea butter can help to calm irritated skin.
All men should remember that penile rash symptoms that are accompanied by a discharge, bleeding, or flu-like symptoms (such as fever, headache, cough, and fatigue), as well as rashes on the penis that do not show signs of healing within a few days, should be seen immediately by a doctor, as they may indicate a more serious condition.
Treating and preventing penile rash
Keeping the genital area clean and wearing loose-fitting, comfortable fabrics can help to prevent numerous penis skin problems, including rash, itching, and discomfort. In addition, treating the area daily with a penis health formula (most health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil) containing essential skin nutrients and moisturizers can boost the disease-fighting ability of the penile skin and soothe the itching and burning caused by various types of penis rash.
Men’s Health Alert – Penile Rash, Bumps and Spots by John Dugan