When men are younger they never even think about the prostate gland, but come late middle age it can become a chronic issue. Prostate inflammation can cause physical mental and emotional distress. It will tend to keep you up at night. Sure there are medical treatments, but there are also some things that you can do in the privacy of your own home to help insure prostate health.
It is known that scientists have discovered men who have participated in heavy sexual activity with a variety of partners are more prone to infections as well as to prostatitis. There are four major types of prostatitis: Acute Bacterial prostatitis. Men with this condition often have fever, chills, pain in lower back, genital area, burning urination, frequent urges to urinate with infection present shown by an increase in white blood cells in the urine. Chronic Bacterial prostatitis presents itself with urinary tract infection possibly caused by structural imbalance. Antibiotics may be given but often do not help. The defect must be identified for proper treatment to occur. Chronic Prostatitis / Pelvic Pain Syndrome may present as inflammatory or non-inflammatory, with symptoms or with few. There may be signs of infection in urine and semen or not. This particular prostate condition is often confusing to physicians and difficult to diagnose. In Asymptomatic Inflammatory Prostatitis patients generally do not complain of pain or discomfort however there is generally a rise in infectious cells in semen.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Drink plenty of purified water each day. Do not allow yourself to get dehydrated – which is an easy thing to do when you drink coffee and alcohol. Keep the flow of urine free and dilute poisons by making certain that you drink purified water. Drink 4-6 oz of purified water 6-8 times daily. More water if you are perspiring / working out. Note: Drinking tap water that is filled with chlorine is not a good choice. Even the chlorine in your tap water destroys friendly bacteria that are meant to keep you well.
2. Eat whole foods, those rich in nutrients that keep your glands healthy. Most important for the health of the prostate are foods rich in zinc. Zinc is found in seed-bearing fruits and vegetables. Raw seeds and some nuts contain a good amount of zinc and other nutrients that support the health of the prostate gland. Infact, the prostate gland uses more zinc than any other organ. Pumpkin seeds are very rich in zinc, berries are also a good source of zinc. Eating an avocado a few times per week is also a good idea; rich in omega fatty acids (good fats) and shaped like a gland, it gives a clue that it will benefit the health of your prostate.
3. Add cranberry juice or concentrated cranberry diluted in water to your diet until things are under control. Once you have no further symptoms of prostitis you should consider cranberry in your diet 2-3 times per week.
4. Add vitamin C – something such as powdered Emergen-C is a great addition to your diet because it includes not only vitamin C, but other minerals and electolytes to promote wellness and prevent illness.
5. Eat probiotic – rich foods to enhance your immune system. Most people do not get enough friendly bacteria in their daily diets – so if you are not one to eat culture-rich yogurt or saurkraut, you might think about adding a wide-spectrum probiotic to your life. Friendly bacteria, also called probiotics, help to enhance your immune response. If you have been given steroids, or have taken courses of anti-biotics you absolutely need to replace the friendly bacteria destroyed by those drugs.
6. Saw Palmetto is an herb commonly used to promote prostate health. There are now combination formulas to support the prostate that include not only Saw Palmetto, but Pygeum as well as anti-oxidants.
7. Add essential fatty acids such as Omega rich Flaxseed, fish oil (or eat oily fish a few times weekly), krill oil, avocados, olive oil, as well as fresh raw nuts at least four times weekly.
8. Exercise but do not ride a bike or confine that sensitive area of your body, or do heavy lifting when you are experiencing inflammation. Avoiding testicle compression is wise.
9 Reduce prostate inflammation and keep the prostate healthy by adding KEGEL exercises to your life daily. Kegal exercises are very helpful in bringing circulation to the prostate gland and surrounding tissue. To learn Kegel exercises (by the way, an excellent thing for women to do to stay tight in the vaginal area) begin by urinating; as you urinate stop the flow of urine. The muscles you use to stop the flow of urine are the same muscles used to strengthen the prostate gland. Do 100 Kegel squeezes daily. This can easily be done while you are driving, watching TV, or sitting at your desk.
10. Stay away from spicy foods when there is inflammation. Avoid alcohol.
11. Participate in lovemaking that includes deep penetration as this activity helps to fully empty the prostate gland.
12. Avoid heavily perfumed soaps and ask your partner to avoid perfumed vaginal douches and soaps as well. Also be careful of lubricants since they are not sterile and can also cause irritation.
13. Add some powerful enzymes to your daily diet. Taken between meals proteolytic enzymes will help to reduce inflammation. Pancreatin is known to reduce the incidence and size of benign growths and to eliminate inflammations in general.
14. There are specific herbal formulas that are important for the health of prostate gland. Take a look at combination formulas that include Saw Palmetto, Pumpkin Seeds, Pygeum, Gravel Root, Uva Ursi. These herbs help to not only support the prostate gland but the urinary tract as well.
15. Keep a wide-spectrum natural antibiotic formula on hand. Nutribiotic formula is made from concentrated grapefruit seed extract also known as citricidal. It is quite powerful and not only effective to help the body fight bacterial infections but fungal and viral infections as well.
Take any infection seriously and do not avoid seeing your doctor when pain or inflammation is present. Always check with your attending physician before adding even a natural substance to your health regime. Some pharmacies today are educating themselves as to the benefits and contraindications for plant-based natural therapies.
Educate yourself about complementary approaches to wellness. Keep your sex life thriving. Wishing you years of vibrant health!
How to Keep Your Prostate Healthy by Janet Angel