Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) blocking herbs can be found in many varieties and combinations of remedies, treatments, and beverages. The benefits most often associated with these types of herbs are prostate and hair health, though research seems to suggest DHT blocking herbs also promote cellular health and may slow the spread of certain types of cancer.
If you are a man with General hair loss resembling an M shaped pattern on the top of your head the chances are well over 90 you have a progressive hair loss condition known as male pattern balding.
Women on the other hand, especially in the early stages, are more difficult to spot generally experience loss of hair later in life that is more along the lines of an overall thinning combined with a progressive deterioration in hair quality.
Either way balding will be the ultimate result if something is not done to stop the androgen hormone dihydrotestosterone from destroying hair follicles by the thousands.
One approach is natural remedies containing herbs that promote hair growth and block the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
Some might wonder why bother with DHT blocking herbs since there are numerous minoxidil infused hair re-growth products on the market?
I can only answer this one from personal experience and what I can tell you is that after almost 15 years I still have almost the same amount of hair as I did when I first started to notice the ravages of male pattern baldness.
Additionally, during this time I have seen many friends and acquaintances go bald who stubbornly stuck to either 5% or 2% minoxidil infused product refusing to even consider herbal hair re-growth remedies.
I believe it is not the fact that products with minoxidil do not work for some but tend to have diminishing results over time whereas herbs seem to start slower but produce longer lasting results.
DHT Blocking Herbs Commonly Found In Natural Hair Loss Treatments
* Shou wu / Fo ti. Shou wu is one of the most popular herbs used in Asian medicine. It is highly prized for it medicinal prowess for lowering blood pressure, improving circulation, lowering cholesterol, and contains the agents emodin and rhein that have been shown to have anti-cancer properties. Additionally, it contains catachin which is the also found in green tea that research indicates blocks the formation of DHT.
* Saw Palmetto. If you were to closely examine the label of almost any herbal remedy for men's hair loss you would find saw palmetto listed. Saw palmetto was first used by Native Americans for the treatment of dysentery and stomachache. As a DHT blocker it is believed that low dosage saw palmetto ethanol extract has the ability to disrupt the enzyme 5 alpha reductase type 2, which is responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. Research published in the July 2010 issue of Advances in Therapy found saw palmetto to be just as effective as the pharmaceutical medication finasteride.
Note: It is my personal experience that saw palmetto when used alone delivers few benefits when it comes to halting male pattern balding. On the other hand when this herb is used in combination with others the results seem to be much better.
* Green Tea. Research seems to suggest that the flavonoid catachin found in green tea blocks the formation of DHT. Additionally, drinking 3 cups of green tea a day has been shown to reduce testosterone and DHT concentration in the blood according to research conducted by the Harvard Medical School.
Note: Once again my personal experience tells me that drinking an occasional glass or two of green will not restore your hair to its former glory. That said, green tea has many health benefits and is a useful tool in the battle against balding and thinning hair.
* Pumpkin Seed / Pumpkin Seed Oil. You will find pumpkin seed or pumpkin seed oil in both topical and oral natural hair products. According to the "Physicians' Desk Reference" it is the presence of curiously odd amino acids such as cucurbitin, in combination with plant sterols, that provide the benefits.
* Other notable herbs with possible DHT blocking properties include giant dodder and kudzu extract.
DHT Blocking Herbs – Simple Truths About DHT Blocking Herbs For Hair Re-Growth by Robert D Hawkins